catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years service repairs on CAT equipment.
11546476

Cat 320 excavator s/n phx01952. engine cranks but will not

Customer Question

cat 320 excavator s/n phx01952. engine cranks but will not start. give a shot of starting fluid engine will start and runs just fine. also this unit was turned over and set backup. removed injectors and cleaned cylinders out. when first started engine it started on it's own and ran fine till shutting down for fueling. have no codes was thinking crank sensor could have got dirty when engine first started after turn over and not picking up right till engine cranking faster from starting fluid and ecm takes over
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 year ago.

This engine will likely need detailed testing requiring the service tooling CAT ET and fuel system tools.

Do you have these items available?

The monitor does not have the ability to test the engine functions so, the only way to know is with ET tooling.

When I had this issue with older machines, it usually requires new injectors and maybe the injection pump.

Since this a a high pressure common rail fuel system, it could be anything in the engine electronics or fuel systems.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well thanks I'll have cat come down and hook up to it and see what is going on with it. I'll let u now what I find out.

Thanks for the reply. I am sorry I could not help more. CAT has limited options for this model and ET is the only way to know what is happening.

Hopefully, this will be something simple.