spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Experience:  I worked on all types of equipment semis,forklifts,farm,ect.
65057319

Have there been any reports of brake failure on 2P5000

Customer Question

Have there been any reports of brake failure on 2P5000 Caterpillar Forlift? I think a 2012 model very low hours, brakes and parking brake failed causing forlift to slide down loading dock
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

I find no recalls or technical service bulletins for park brake.

The park brake is supposed to be checked daily on the pre trip inspection as part of the driver's check list.

With low hours on the lift it probably never got the original adjustment it needs at first PM.

New parts need to settle in and this is the most important adjustment that needs to be checked daily.

To test park brake you apply park brake with truck in gear, it must hold under acceleration or on a hill.

To tighten park brake you just turn the end of park brake handle clockwise to tighten cable,,if any more than that is needed you would need a new cable or it was not set up right at the factory.

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.