Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician
Experience:  ASE Medium/Heavy Duty Technician, Hydraulics, Brakes, Electrical Certified
9290743

I have a cummins generator in my food truck and we were doing

Customer Question

I have a cummins generator in my food truck and we were doing a job today where it was really hot .. the unit was as usual working great, then some 5 hours into the job I heard the generator rev up then down then up again (almost sounding like it was running out of gas) then it quit altogether. Now Im not going to lie and I was running it hard .. lots of electrical things running off it, however I believe it just over heated if it could do that. SO I drove home, it cooled and once i got home it started up again, no problem. Issue I have is the circuit breaker won't switch and stay in the ON position...there is no clicking into on, it just slips back to the off position. Im assuming the breaker is shot. What do you think ... and does this sound like a heat issue?
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Jeremy replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.
Yes, the breaker is shot. I would replace the breaker.
It went bad because it was overloaded. The heat from the power going through it caused the breaker to go bad.
What it sounds like that happened is the generator was getting a hard pull on it and it revved to give the extra power needed and then the breaker went sending heat back to the regulator which sent a signal to the generator to turn off. Once it cooled, it allowed the generator to restart, but the breaker is shot as you had mentioned.