Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.
30244710

162g###-##-#### ***** yale electric fork lift wont steer

Customer Question

have yale electric fork lift wont steer
Category: Industrial Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I don't recognize the model ? But do you hear the steering motor come on as soon as you turn on the key? it should come on and let you steer, without going to f/r. It is on a timer and will shut off after a few seconds. It is powered by a relay or contacter. Have you checked the steering contacter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not at the store right now but did not hear motor running I did hear contactor click can I get back inmorning when I get back to store?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
If contacter closes, check the motor for voltage. If motor is getting voltage, the steer pump motor needs repair. I will be here tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn key on holding it over like your starting a car it rocks back and forth then I let go of the switch and step on the safety swith it cicks like the contactor makes how do I find steer motor it's 2or3 motors back there
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Steer motor will be the smallest of the motors, and will have cable coming from the steer contacter that is clicking closed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK MR. CURTIS WAS NOT FOR SURE YOU WAS SAME MAN I WAS TALKING TO
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
I may be! Service manager on Clark and Yale for over 20 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK IF GREEN LIGHT IS ON CONTROLER DOSE THAT MEAN MOTOR SOULD BE RUNNING
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
It means the controller is ok, and the system should work, and steer motor should run!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
COULD THIS BE A BATTERY HAD THEM CHECKED BUT AFTER I WORK WITH A FEW MIN SEEM LIKE THE GAGE SAID LOW VOLTAGE IT WILL GO UP AND DOWN BUT THEN IT STOPPED GOING FOWARD AND BACK
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
if you lose other function, then it could be battery voltage problem, but if only steering quit, it is not battery. I would be checking for voltage at the steer motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT SHOULD VOLTAGE RUN
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Battery voltage, what ever the battery pack is!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
GOT 2 WIRE PULGS GOING TO MOTOR 1 HAS 3 BIGER WIRES RED WHITE AND BLACK THE OTHER HAS SMALLER WIRES GREEN RED WHITE BLACK AND ORG I WOULD THINK BIGER WIRE WOULD BE POWER RED WHITE OR BLACK
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Look at the p/s contacter that is doing the clicking, then follow the wire to the motor, does it have battery voltage coming out of the contacter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT DONT GO TO MOT0R IT GOES TO APS COMES OUT OF APS GOES TO MOTOR 25 VOLTS GOING THOUGH CONTACTOR PUT UNIT ON CHARGER FOR 1 HR START UP AND IT STEERED FOR FEW MIN THEN STOPPED THEN QUIT GOING BACK AND FOWERD THOUGHT THIS IS 36 VOLTS MCH BUT NOT SURE SAID 24 ON CAB BAT BEEN UNPLUG FOR 30 MIN STILL HEAR BUBBLING SOUND IN BAT
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 year ago.
Battery needs to be charged for at least 8 hours to reach full charge. The voltage is twice the number of the cells in the battery pack. 12 cells, would be 24 , 18 cells would be 36 volt. count the number of fill caps. one per cell. Charge battery tonight and see what you have in the AM.