Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.

I just purchased nine diesel generators from army surplus.

I just purchased nine diesel generators from army surplus. They were made in 1992 but they have very low hours. Click here for pictures and description
How should I go about reconditioning these generators? What should I do before I try to start them up?

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will wait.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

With the generators, treat them just like any other engine that you have no background on. Check the fluid levels, and look at the condition of the oil. Remove the oil filler caps and look for moisture. If any found, drain the oil and replace the filter. Turn the engine over manually 360 degrees before trying any kind of start. You could have liquid on top of a piston or a seized engine. If fluid levels are good, engine rotates manually, then attach the battery and see if the engine will start. You might want to check for any loose wiring and obvious problems with open wires and burned up components on the generators. As far as reconditioning, it would depend on the condition of the units. If they run good and produce power, just a normal servicing of fluids and filters and a good cleaning would be all that is necessary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it were a gasoline engine, I would remove the spark plug, fill the cylinder with oil and let it sit for a few days. How can I do that with a diesel?

You would only need to do that if the engine were locked up and would not rotate. On diesel you could remove glow plugs and do the same. If no glow plugs, then the injector nozzles would have to be removed to put oil in cylinder.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do the glow plugs and injector nozzle unscrew like a spark plug? Do all diesel engines have glow plugs?

Yes , threads on the glow plugs, but not all diesels have glow plugs. The injector nozzles usually have a bolt or clamp with two bolts holding them in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Curtis

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX to go walk my four dogs!
Curtis B., Technician
Experience: Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.