Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager on multiple lines of equipment used in industry.

I have Sellick Fork lift Model SG 50 S/N XXXXXXXXXX 4, Engine

I have Sellick Fork lift Model SG 50 S/N XXXXXXXXXX 4, Engine - Perkins Diesel, LD33676 U2593075. Hard starting. Fuel pump and lift pump and injectors have been changed. Fuel pump is not sucking air and tested the lift pump and it gets 3.5 psi and holds pressure. Tested compression and cylinder #1 was 160 psi and the rest were 180 psi. Adjusted the valves and no difference. Put oil in the cylinders and they all went up about 20psi. Any ideas?

koboma :

This is the 4.236 Perkins engine. Your compression is too low for diesel engine to start with ease.

koboma :

With this engine compression should be in the 350 to 400 psi range. With low compression, the cylinder air does not get hot enough to ignite the diesel fuel.

JACUSTOMER-772j302k- :

Would you expect it to use oil and blow smoke with that compression?

koboma : with the 160 to 180 is would expect hard start, smoking and low power.
koboma : Oil usage is a condition of the oil rings and valve guides, not compression rings.