Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Ely, I am a permanent resident in the US currently and have

Customer Question

Hello Ely,
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: I am a permanent resident in the US currently and have been since 1994. I grew up in Canada as a landed immigrant as I have a UK passport. My wife is a Canadian Citizen and also a permanent resident in US. We are looking at going back to Canada for work and family reasons. Don
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Don't know how long we would be there but don't want to have our green cards taken away. My son is US citizen. What is best way to handle this?
JA: I'm trying to find the right Immigration Lawyer for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know. Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Would I still have landed immigrant status in Canada as my parents still live there as well as the rest of my family.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thank you for your help with my questions!
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 6 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

You have two options. You can file for US naturalization. You are allowed to keep your UK citizenship as both countries recognize dual citizenship.

This process wouldl take approximately 6 months and is strongly recommended for both you and your spouse who may keep her dual citizenship as well.

Second option is for you both to file form I-131 for a re-entry perit

https://www.uscis.gov/i-131

This allows you to remain outside the US for up to 2 years. It can be renewed once.

Bear in mind it is only good for one entry. So if you come across the boarder in 3 months it is rendered as "used" and you would have to file for another one. This is really meant for people whose jobs or family circumstances take them abroad and who cannot easily come to the US across the border. It is an expensive option and would probably not be effective for you if you have any ties here that would bring you back and forth.

This process takes 90-120 days.

So your very best option is the naturalization. It is cheaper than filing over and over again for re-entry permit on every entry and having to sit here and wait to do biometrics which can take a month or two for an appointment.

https://www.uscis.gov/n-400

Experts are only paid for their time providing you a low cost alternative to getting immigration law information if you RATE their answer. Everyone likes to think that their time and knowledge has value, I am sure you expert to be paid at work for your time and knowledge. It is no different for an expert. No rating, no pay. May I answer anything additional for you to earn your satisfaction. I strive to give good customer service and comprehensive answers. I feel I have failed you. Please tell me what additional information would be helpful.
Judith