N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

Do I need to mention about criminal record when I'm having

Customer Question

Do I need to mention about criminal record when I'm having green card interview?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There's no criminal record shown on my background check, according to my SUPER long last name that doesn't appear a whole thing on the record. I'm thinking to cheat on this part, so it won't shown on my permanent resident record, hopefully.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your question.

May I ask if you were convicted of a crime and, if so, where and when? Also, what was the crime?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it is misdemeanor. It happened in 2014 but it convicted on 09/01/2015 and I already done everything they asked for.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
273.5(A)Plea: Nolo Contendere
Guilty/Convicted09/01/2015

That particular crime can have devastating immigration consequences, described at

http://asianjournal.com/immigration/immigration-consequences-of-domestic-violence-convictions/

You have to disclose it if asked but you might want to file a petition to seal or expunge the conviction before filling out any immigration forms.

You can get a free consultation from some of the immigration attorneys listed by location here.

You can get a free consultation from some of the criminal law attorneys listed by location here.

If you pled guilty without having been advised of the immigration consequences, you may be able to reopen the case.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.