Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I would like to ask some questions pertaining work permit

Customer Question

hello, i would like to ask some questions pertaining work permit for international students
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help. I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

Work permits for international students are highly restricted and regulated. What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
will do, i want to know how i would be able to acquire one, how much it would cost me and what are the restrictions and regulations

Well, as a student you had to prove that you had funds available to pay for at least one year of classes and room and board since you were not going to be allowed to work. Has that changed? How?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i was able to pay for one semester, the country where i come from which is Nigeria is going through a recession and that has greatly affected my fathers business. So i have to look for a way to sustain myself during this tough period before he gets back on his feet

Well, here is the official link:

https://www.ice.gov/sevis/employment

You would have to contact the Designated School Officer (DSO) and explain the situation and that you need to work to sustain yourself because of emergent circumstances. If the DSO agrees, they can give you the permission to apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). You can review the pages that I sent above to understand the restrictions and such.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.