Bill Attorney
Bill Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
94475420

A woman that I have known for 13 years is a Mexican citizen.

Customer Question

A woman that I have known for 13 years is a Mexican citizen. In the past year I have traveled to Mexico four times to get to know her and her family. Our relationship has become very strong and I would like her to visit me for one week this year as a tourist so that she can observe my life in the US for consideration of one day marrying me (becoming my fiance, although this is not our current status. She is a friend that I would like to invite as a tourist for one week.) What is the simplest way to have my friend come to the USA for a one week visit as a tourist? Both of us are legally available for marriage. She has two children as well (although they would not be accompanying her on this tourist trip). She owns her own home as well. I would simply like my friend to come to the USA for one week as a tourist. How can you help me to accomplish this?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Bill Attorney replied 5 months ago.

This is attorney Bill an immigration lawyer assisting you today .

Mexican citizens must apply for a visa at either the US embassy in Mexico city or at a Consulate's office.

The H1B tourist visa would allow a person to visit the United states for a limited period of time, but this is anon-immigrant visa requiring her to show definite proof at Customs and border control that she intends to return back to Mexico before expiry of the non-immigrant visa.

The other option if you decide to get married is to file a 1-129f application which allows a Mexican citizen enter the US giving you 90 days to get married also known as a k1 fiance visa.

Once married you can then file a change of application status that would allow her get a green card and permanent residence.

Other options include student and work visa but you would need a school or employer sponsor for these.

Please follow up on your question if I missed something.

REMEMBER TO RATE POSITIVELY BEFORE EXITING TODAY

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT

BEST

Bill

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My friend lives in the region of Monterrey (which has a consulate office). Can she apply at this US consulate location? Please provide specifics regarding where and how she can apply. Also, can I apply for her tourist visa from the US or is this a process that requires her to apply from her country? In other words, is there an tourist visa application process that I can apply on her behalf from the US or is the process you provided the recommended method (or only method) for her to come to the USA as a tourist?- Thank You- Carlo M.

Thanks for your follow up.

She needs to apply herself for a tourist visa as this isn't a sponsored visa by a US citizen unlike the fianc visa.

She can apply in person or online filing out the d-160 form

here is a complete list of details for a tourist visa from her consulate:

https://mx.usembassy.gov/visas/tourism-visitor/how-to-apply/

No the tourist visa is done solely by the tourist but she will be asked about her trip in the interview and with whom or where she will be staying and her purpose for the trip.

A tourist visa is strictly for non-immigration purposes. She should have evidence of a job, a residence and ties to her native country to pass the interview.

Attorney Bill

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the thorough answer to my question. I appreciate it!

You’re welcome.

PLLEASE REMEMBER TO CLICK THE SMILEY ICON AND TO RATE POSITIVELY TODAY BEFORE EXITING

THIS IS HOW I GET A CREDIT FOR THE INFORMATION PROVIDED

Thanks

Bill