Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I have questions regarding a I485 application. I am based in

Customer Question

Hi Hi I have questions regarding a I485 application. I am based in New York, NY
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: yes, but i have not engaged his services. I just have a few basic questions.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am currently legally in the US on a tourist visa, visiting my fiancee in NYC. She is a US citizen. We have just filed for a K1 visa but we would like to get married and petition for an I-485 AOS. In terms of the initial evidence, it will take about 8 weeks to get a police clearance certificate from South Africa. I have no criminal record.
Can we proceed with the AOS and provide the police clearance when we receive it?
My birth certificate is in another language (Afrikaans). Does it need to be translated and if so, how do I do that so that it serves official purposes?
Expert:  Expert James replied 5 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. Please give me a few minutes to review your question and prepare a response.

How far along in the K1 process are you two?

When did you enter the US as a visitor?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We just submitted the petition and have not received any NOA yet. I entered the US on 12 Dec 2015. We at no point discussed getting married during my current visit during any of our preceding correspondence. We only found out that it might be possible while I was here already.

OK, thank you very much for the additional information. Your answer is below.

Once you have received the information you need, please give me a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job. I am sure you want to get credit for doing work, and I am no different. So this is very important for me. Thank you.

As to your first question about the police clearance certificate, you are not required to provide one of those for the adjustment of status process. If you were abroad filing for an immigrant visa or a fiance visa, then you would require one of those. But since you are in the US and doing adjustment of status, that is not required.

As to your second question about the birth certificate, it does need to have a certified translation to English attached. That can be done by a family member, friend, or a professional service. The certified translation format should the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. Here is a suggested format:

"Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and [enter appropriate language] languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled [enter the title of document].

[Signature]
[Typed Name]
[Address]
[Date]"

I hope I have answered your question. My goal is always to provide you with an excellent customer service experience. I hope I have done that.

If I answered your questions and provided you with a positive customer service experience, please give me credit by giving me a positive rating. Without a positive rating, I do not get credit for helping you today, and I risk losing my job here. So I respectfully ***** ***** consideration of a positive rating, as this is very important to me.

And if you have any additional questions, you can still ask them even after you've given a positive rating.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

And if you have any additional immigration questions int he future, please make sure to write FOR JAMES in the question so that I become your personal immigration law Expert.

Thank you!