Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am currently under a F1 visa, and have been under the J1

Customer Question

I am currently under a F1 visa, and have been under the J1 visa subject to the two year residency rule, which I have not fulfilled yet. I am about to get married to an American citizen who serves in the US Army. Would I be able to get a waiver for the residency rule in order to get the green card, justifying hardship with our separation since my future husband has military obligations and would not be able to move back home with me?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry about the delay. It is feasible to get that waiver but not guaranteed. What other questions do you have for me?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What are the chances to get the waiver with that justification? Since I'll be a military dependent

They don't release statistics, so there is no way that I can give you a percentage chance. I can tell you that it would probably be a higher chance than most being a U.S. military dependent. What else would you like to know?