Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

My brother is from Honduras and was brought here at age 6

Customer Question

My brother is from Honduras and was brought here at age 6 and he's 33 now but never got his papers. He doesn't have a license, how can he get a drivers license? What documents can he show at the DMV?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

What state is your brother in?

And when you say that he never got his papers, what papers are you referring to?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He's in the state of Florida with me. When I refer to him never having his papers I mean no ID, no current passport, no drivers license and no social security card. He has a social security number but he lost the card and there giving him a hard time to get his card again or anything at that because he has no proof of who he is.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hi again.

After contemplating what you wrote, I'm really sorry to say that I don't think that I'll be able to provide you with a useful answer. However, it's quite likely that another attorney at this website will be able to do so. Accordingly, I will open your question for other attorneys to review. Thank you for using this service.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

How did he enter the U.S.? Illegally or with a visa? Which visa? How long ago did he enter the U.S.? Has he applied for DACA yet? If not, why not? Does he have any crimes in his background? Please try to answer each question. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How did he enter the U.S.?
He came with my parents at age 6Illegally or with a visa?
Not sure if he had a visa but I do know that he had his passport and social security. My father is AmericanWhich visa?
I don't know what type but I do know we were choosing to live here permanentlyHow long ago did he enter the U.S.?
He came to the U.S 26 years agoHas he applied for DACA yet?
He has not applied for the DACA.If not, why not?
We don't know what this is.Does he have any crimes in his background?
Yes he has 1 crime in his background which I believe is burglary or robbery. I know there both extremely bad but it's 1 of them.

DACA was big news a few years ago. People mistakenly called it the Dream Act or Dreamers Act, but it allowed persons that entered the U.S. as minors and stayed illegally to at least get a work permit. As I said, it was BIG news because it helped many people I'm pretty sure you had to have known about it. I have to assume that he did not apply for it because of his one crime. That one crime could make him permanently inadmissible to the U.S. I just ask that if my ultimate answer is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

How old was he when he committed the crime? Was he convicted? What was the jail sentence? Even if the sentence was suspended, I would still need to know what it was.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Guillermo your a great guy and I won't do that to you as I'm a professional myself. Your rating is 5 stars in my books. Let me call my brother today and get more answers. He currently has a great job working for cash but he just had a baby and wants to start doing things the right way. If you have any other questions you want me to ask him please write them on this feed.

No problem. Just try to clarify how he entered the U.S., illegally or with a visa. If he says he used a visa, he will have to prove it. Also, fine out if he was convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor and find out what exactly for and what the exact sentence was even if it was suspended. Take your time as the question thread does not close. Thank you.

Hello. Are you still looking up that information for me? Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm still trying to get a ahold of him. Apologies for the delay in his response.

No problem. I will be around.