Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

My girlfriend has a visa k1, we got married. what is the

Customer Question

my girlfriend has a visa k1, we got married. what is the next step in order to legalize his inmigration status? what is the next form or forms we should complete? working permit? travel permit? thank you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Happy holidays and congratulations on your marriage.

The next step is for her to file the following:

I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (signed by alien)

I-765 Employment Authorization Application (signed by alien)

I-131 Application for Travel Document (signed by alien- this document permits alien to travel during the pendency of their "green card" case)

G-325A Biographic Sheet

G-1145

A medical examination in a sealed envelope performed by a civil surgeon (find one here: https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=CIV

She will not have to complete the entire medical and she should take with her the medical form returned to her by the CBP officer or the consul when her visa was issued when she entered.

I-864 Affidavit of Support

Six passport size photos of alien

Copy of alien’s passport with visa including all blank pages and I-94

Copy of any divorce decrees

Copy of marriage certificate

Copy of her K1 I-797 approval notice

One check for the I-485/765/131 in the amount of $1,225

Mailing address

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS) deliveries:

USCIS
PO Box 805887
Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:

USCIS
Attn: FBAS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL###-##-####/p>

I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello!
yes, she had a medical examiniation previous to her k-1 approval, can we use that cerficate in order to cut the costs in make a new medical exam? she returned the brown envelope upon her arrival but the officer does not returned any document after entrance.

I understand you want to save money. I don't tell people to do anything that is not required.

I put additional instructions in bold in my original answer. She must see a panel physician here and follow those instructions

...If you are a K-1, K-2, K-3 or K-4 visa holder the I-693 instructions state that you are not required to have another medical examination as long as your Form I-485 is filed within one year of your overseas medical examination. Regardless of if you are exempt from a medical exam, you are still required to complete certain portions of the I-693 and have a Civil Surgeon certify the form (and seal it in an evelope). Specifically, you will complete Part 1 (Information about you) of the I-693 and provide both the form and your DS-3025 (if you have it, proving your vaccination history) and any proof of required vaccinations that were completed prior to entering the US. If you do not have a copy of your DS-3025 you will need to provide sufficient evidence of your vaccination history to the Civil Surgeon (talk to the civil surgeon's office to discuss what vaccination records they accept as proof). If you do not have proof of your vaccination history the Civil Surgeon may insist on re-administering all the required vaccinations prior to completing the I-693. Once the Civil Surgeon has has verified that all required vaccinations have been performed, they will complete form I-693 Part 2 (the vaccination section) and Part 5 (the Civil Surgeon's Certification). They will then seal the form in an envelope and return it to you.

http://www.visajourney.com/faq/k1k2visa-aos.html#6.2.2

Judith