Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I would like to know how the process is to obtain a

Customer Question

I would like to know how the process is to obtain a citizenship when a non American citizen who is in America undocumented marries a Cuban who was born in Cuba and got the got the residency when came to America. Has the process change after the US restarted the commercial/political relations with Cuban recently.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 13 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

When did the person enter the U.S.? How did the person enter the U.S.? Illegally or with a visa? And is the Cuban a CU6 Lawful Permanent Resident (you can check their card). Take your time as I have to log out for a little bit and will be back soon. Sorry about any delay.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 10 days ago.

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

The process has not changed yet, but I need to see if you are eligible. Is the Cuban a CU6? Look at their green card. Did you enter the U.S. legally or illegally?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Me and my girlfriend are planning to get married next year, she is Cuban, arrived in Miami 2 years ago, and she have the CU6.- How long will I take to get my residence? I’m not an american citizen and I’m undocumented now, because a few years ago I overstayed my visa.
- Before USA and Cuba has reestabilished their commercial relationship, did anything changed?
- What Trump thinks about immigrant laws? What does he plan to change and how this can affect an immigrant (both legal and illegal) after his occupation?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 9 days ago.

Nothing has changed YET, but it is VERY important that you tell me which visa you used to enter the U.S. Was it a B-2?

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 days ago.

I honestly don't understand why you keep refusing to answer. Not sure why you have to make it so hard to help you. You know how this website works and you aren't charged per question. Anyway, assuming that you entered the U.S. with a B-2, it will take 5 to 7 months to get Residency, maybe a little longer since many of these cases have fraud involved in them since you don't get a 2 year conditional green card, you get a 10 year green card. Since there is lots of fraud, often the interviews are much harder. So far, there have been no changes to policy, but that may change in a few months. Best to file as soon as possible.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions as I will be happy to respond, but because this case is the type of case that I love to handle, I will now send you a low-cost offer so that I can pass on my personal phone number and email. I have multiple services available to you from document review to full representation and all at very reasonable prices though I can only discuss those in private, not an open forum like this. You won't be disappointed as these are my favorite cases to do and have been doing them for many years. If you decline, no problem, you can ask additional questions without any additional charge. But PLEASE remember to leave a positive rating for me. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. Also, a bonus is always appreciated if you feel I earned it. And finally, your question does NOT close just because you leave a positive rating. I can still answer additional questions for you without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 days ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Hi Guillermo,
I'm not refusing to answer, is just that it's been kinda hard to sit and spending some time using my computer these days, and I'm answering you as soon as I can do it.Well, my visa was a J1.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 6 days ago.

That's one of the worst to have. Is the J-1 subject to 212(e), the requirement that you go home for 2 years before being able to get Residency? Check your passport with the J-1 visa stamp is.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 days ago.

Are you looking up that information for me?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Guillermo.
This is what is showing in my visa.
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 days ago.

Ok. Then I have good news for you. Because it is not subject to 212(e), then you can proceed as normal for an Adjustment of Status through your CU6 girlfriend.

Please don't forget that positive rating. I only keep mentioning it because if you can believe it, about 30% to 40% of people on this site don't leave a positive rating and since I am not given a salary to be here, it's as if I spent my time responding for free. So you can understand, that's like working 40 hours per week, 5 days a week and not being compensated for every Friday and most Thursdays. That's the only reason I keep mentioning it. Sorry if it is a bother as it is not my intention. If you don't see the stars by my name, I think all you have to do is scroll to the top of the page or click on my name and they will come out. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 2 day ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you a second time to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi Guillermo, thank you for your answer!And usually, how long will I take to get my residence? Has anything changed before USA and Cuba restabilished their commercial relationship? And will Trump change any of this laws for immigrants?
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 day ago.

Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable anymore in answering your questions since you have refused to leave a positive rating for me. I understand that you still have questions, but it is time that you trust me that I will continue to answer some follow-up questions for you without additional charge even after you leave a positive rating.