How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 16394
Experience:  Licensed Attorney
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thank you! I have a question regarding the form N 400, yes,

Customer Question

Thank you! I have a question regarding the form N 400
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: yes
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: this is for my boyfriend
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: he is 31 and he did not register with Selective service
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** *****

Thank you for your question.

I will be happy to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

How old was your b/f when he arrived to the USA?

How was your boyfriend admitted to the USA?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello. My name is***** was 22 and he entered with J1 visa
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He is now 31
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello Irina.

How did your b/f obtain his green card and when?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
He obtained in 2012 based on asylum
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

Any men who moves to the US and intends to permanently stay in the USA and is between the age of 18 and 26 is required to register with Selective Service and failing to register would be considered a sign of bad moral character.

The good news is, the USCIS will only look back 5 years during which the applicant for Naturalization is required to prove good moral character, so it would be important to consult and retain an experienced local immigration attorney to represent your b/f in his n-400 process and this local attorney can explain as to why b/f failed to register and also can point out to the USCIS that 5 years has passed since the b/f turned 26 and was no longer required to register and also this local attorney can help your b/f gather all the evidence and references that might be required to prove your b/f good moral character in the last 5 years and to get his application for naturalization approved.

You can find an experienced and skilled local immigration law attorney by using this established and reputable attorney information / referral websites:
When, choosing a local attorney to represent you, it would be a good idea to choose someone who has a practice exclusively dedicated to immigration law, has at least 10 years of experience and handled similar matters and also regularly practices before the court located in the jurisdiction where your matter will be heard.
I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
How can he prove good moral character? Thank you
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

It is generally done by showing that the applicant held steady employment in the last five years and getting reference letters from the current and former employers and also good references from people in positions of authority who have personal knowledge of the applicant and can attest that the applicant is of good moral character. Such people can be judges, police officers, local elected officials, members of the clergy, etc...

Also, if the applicant had engaged in any volunteer work or some other activity showing that the applicant of a good moral character such proof can be provided to the USCIS.

However, it is generally important for an N400 applicant who didn't register for the selective service as required to be represented by an experienced local immigration attorney, and this local attorney can make sure that your b/f case is presented in the best possible light and can assure the highest chance of a positive outcome.

I wish you the best of luck!

Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you for your time. The issue is that he answered at the part 12 question 44 " NO". Do you think that can be a problem? Thank you
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your follow up.

I have answered your original question and also have provided you answers for your additional questions.

I will be happy to further discuss this matter with you, once my original answer is positively rated and accepted, as I only get compensated for my time, expertise and efforts, if the customer positively rates and accepts my answers.

Thank you.

Related Immigration Law Questions