legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

My sister in law just became a widow. She is an Indian

Customer Question

My sister in law just became a widow. She is an Indian citizen. Can I bring her and her 2 young children to USA easily?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 14 days ago.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Expert:  legalgems replied 14 days ago.

I am sorry for your family's loss;

unfortunately one cannot sponsor a sister in law based on family category; that is available for siblings, not in laws, unfortunately (and even siblings have many years wait).

The family category is applicable to spouse, children, parents & siblings of U.S. citizens

Otherwise, it is quite difficult to come to the US to establish residency.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/other-ways-get-green-card

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I'm a US citizen. Been married 20 years. My wife holds a green card, she never became a citizen all these years. How should we go about bringing her just widowed sister to the US?
Expert:  legalgems replied 14 days ago.

Oh; I assumed the sister in law was related by marriage; so she is a sibling of a resident. First the green card holder would need to get citizenship and then they can sponsor a sibling; please see:

https://www.uscis.gov/family/family-us-citizens/siblings/bringing-siblings-live-united-states-permanent-residents

Expert:  legalgems replied 11 days ago.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;
if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answer.
Thanks!