Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

Ly from Egypt who are here on a student visa due to expire

Customer Question

ly from Egypt who are here on a student visa due to expire in May. The problem is they have an infant daughter who was born deaf with some other orthopedic issues. A cochlear implant has been suggested by doctors here to address the deafness, but by the time the surgery is done and services for intensive speech therapy start they will be out of time. Is there a way to extend their visa due to the medical hardship they are incurring with their daughter? My understanding of the culture where they live, children with any disability are treated very unkindly and shunned and sometimes abused not to mention there are no services available to help this child learn to hear. Would a medical hardship be a justificaiton for an extention?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: The last immigration lawyer tried to charge them 6000 dollars. They live in student housing and cannot afford this. How do we set up an appointment?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I will have to ask the family when I see them next My understanding is that they are here on a student visa while the husband attends law school. The mother stays at home with their daughter and has several providers come in to assist with the hearing impairment, occupatational therapy, and physical therapy to strengthen her for surgery.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: They have and were told it would cost 6000 dollars just to apply for an extention.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: THey are very concerned about the safety of their little girl when they return to Egypt. They know that their culture may not accept the little one and may encounter abuse.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 25 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Yes, it is possible to apply for either a change of status from student visa to tourist visa right before their current visa expires or if the husband will continue studying he can extend his student visa.

I am happy to explain this to you in more detail over the phone. $6,000 is very overpriced for this process.

I know immigration issues like these sometimes seem complicated and confusing. If at any time you would like to have a more detailed consultation by phone or if you need help with preparation or review of applications, I can send you an offer to exchange contact information so I may help you with these legal services for a reasonable fee. You don't have to decide if you would like that now, but just letting you know it's an affordable option for you to keep in mind for whenever you'd like.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

---------

Please remember that I do not receive a salary from this website. I only receive credit when you leave me a positive rating. You will not be charged again for rating me and the question stays open for follow ups. Thank you for your consideration.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I would like to schedule a call to talk about this so that I can report to the family.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It is too late to schedule a call but I will call tomorrow and ask for Jennifer.

Sure, I can send you an offer for that now. It is an additional charge. You can accept it now though and We can set up a time to speak tomorrow.

Do you see a button to request a phone call?

It should say "CALL ME" Once you click that we can set up a time for tomorrow.

If you have gotten offline and wish to request the call tomorrow, please first reply directly on this page tomorrow and wait for me to answer before asking for the phone call because that means I am online. If you do it when I am offline, another expert can answer your call request.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I was charged 33 dollars this morning before I actually spoke to someone. Could you please advise?

Hello again, this is Jennifer. I do not work for the actual website so I cannot say for sure, but I do believe you are charged a portion of the question value as a deposit right away. The website needs some kind of guarantee that you are able to pay for the services, as you can imagine. If not they would be getting many people asking legal questions and never paying. But don't worry-- If you are unsatisfied at the end of the answer, you can always ask for a refund.

If you still wanted the phone call, feel free to click on "CALL ME" and it will send me the request for me to accept.