Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

Mam, Can a Philippine citizen who was married in the

Customer Question

Dear Sir, Mam,Can a Philippine citizen who was married in the Philippines get a divorce in the Bahamas assuming that the grounds are consistent with Bahamian law?Do I need to be in the Bahamas or live there or can I just visit for the divorce?How long generally does an uncontested divorce with no children and no financial issues take from start to finish?Will the divorce be recognized by the United States?What is the general price range for an uncontested divorce?I appreciate any guidance and information you can give me,Respectfully,
Ken
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: They live in the Philippines and I want to know if She can get an uncontested divorce in any country without being a resident of that country and will it be recognized by the US embassy and government?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have been seperated for 15 years and they both have agreed to divorce, there is no property or children involved nor any finances
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 21 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I dont want to limit it to the Bahamas but to any country that I can get an uncontested divorce without long residencey requirements and will be recognized by the US embassy in Manila and the USA
Expert:  Judith replied 21 days ago.

We do not have any Bahama experts on the site.

Here is a website to find lawyers in Nassau, the largest city.

http://www.bahamas-lawyer.com/attorneys/attorneys.html

The US would recognize any divorce that from any country if that country recognizes it under their laws where it was granted.

Judith

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I don't understand " if that country recognizes it under their laws where it was granted." For example I know that the US will not recognize a divorce from the Dominican Republic without out her being a resident????
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
12 November 2016 11:49
Expert:  Judith replied 21 days ago.

The US does not require the person to be a resident of the country of divorce. They do require the person personally appear before a court to be under that court's jurisdiction to be accepted.

I cannot help you country shop.

I will opt out.

Judith

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ok I really did not get the information I needed