Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I adopted a 9 year old from the Phillipines almost 10 years

Customer Question

I adopted a 9 year old from the Phillipines almost 10 years ago and never completed the paperwork which would give us the citizenship papers - the one with the gold seal. is it too late? With the election results, I am very afraid. Thank you.
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: No. he has an American passport, passport, and has registered for the draft.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: American birth certificate
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know. Thank you.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Can you please clarify - what is your child's status NOW? Is your child a lawful permanent resident, etc?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought he was a lawful citizen. He was legally adopted.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Did you adopt via a U.S. accredited or approved adoption service provider?
-After that, did you get a proper US visa for the child from the U.S. Embassy in Manila, Philippines? Did you file I-800?
-If so, why do you believe that he is NOT a US Citizen?