Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

Georgetown Lawyer, I have a question, I applied for an

Customer Question

Hello Georgetown Lawyer,
JA: Have you or an employer filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?
Customer: I have a question, I applied for an adjustment status under section 13 last year and just now I got my interview for December, but I have read so much about "compelling reasons". My mom was the diplomat for 9 years and she just went back to our country Ecuador and I'm 24 years old who practically grew up here, got my high school diploma, Bachelor's and Master's degree in this country. Now I am working in an advertising agency pursuing my career and I will not like to go back to Ecuador since the situation isnt the best right now. Is there any advice you can give me on what to say on my interview when they ask me about my compelling reasons? Also why me statying here will be a national interest to this country? I am lost in these questions and I've read is very rare to get a green card under this section and they aare very limited. Is it true? and yes I got all my paper work filled out by a lawyer, but I still want to consult to have more options on what to do or say on my interview date.
JA: Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes I did
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not I think I told you what my biggest concern was. "Compelling reasons"
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 27 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Georgetown Lawyer has not been active in a long time. Would it be ok for me to answer you?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.

Please be patient. I type fast but not that fast plus I want to give you a couple of previous cases that can help you understand what "compelling reasons" means. What country are you from?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I understand, I am from Ecuador.

Yes, sorry. I had read that in your original answer. It doesn't look like it is good news. I just ask that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

I have two similar cases but both are from Pakistan. The same would apply to you, however, because USCIS will look at Congressional intent. Here are the links (both discuss compelling reasons on the 4th page):

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/err/A3%20-%20Diplomats/Decisions_Issued_in_2013/SEP132013_08A3013.pdf

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/err/A3%20-%20Diplomats/Decisions_Issued_in_2013/MAY092013_03A3013.pdf

So it looks like you will have to prove that you are unable to return to Ecuador and why. It won't be enough to just say that it is undesirable for you to return. I mean if you could show that perhaps you would be discriminated against or even persecuted, you could increase your chances, but it will not be easy. I am truly sorry. I wish I had better news for you.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.