Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I've applied for a a card which was refused without an

Customer Question

Hello, I've applied for a a green card which was refused without an appeal (based on one piece of missing paperwork despite tons of substantiating evidence). I'm now in the midst of a reconsideration process with USCIS. I work three jobs. I have a legitimate social security number but my work authorization card expired in September. I'm concerned about applying for a new one. Despite entering my three jobs lawfully, I'm worried that the limbo reconsideration period makes my work authorization invalid. Is that so?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: Yes, my application is now under reconsideration in Chicago.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I have an attorney but the information that she has given me is contradictory, hence this message.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think I covered the basics, thank you.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 23 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Unfortunately, you are not entitled to a work permit once your I-485 has been denied even if you have reconsideration pending. You can certainly try to apply and you have nothing to lose since there is no fee. I have seen cases here and there where the application slips through to an officer who may not have noticed the I-485 is denied and have approved the work permit. However, legally no you are not entitled to you.

As far as whether you have authorization to work without the permit, legally no, you are not authorized if the permit expired. However, it is up to your employer to ask for the updated information.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.