Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I'm a Muslim Pakistani citizen, US permanent resident. I

I'm a Muslim Pakistani citizen, US permanent resident. I just applied for naturalization, but I'm worried about how the outcome of the presidential election will affect immigration processing times. My green card expires 12/2017. At what point do I need to start thinking about renewing my green card? What happens if neither application is processed or approved by next December? Do I face possible deportation?

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. Once you've received the information you need, please leave me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job. Please do not forget to do this before leaving the site. Like you, I want to get credit for doing my job. I am sure you understand.

ANSWER: I know you are a little concerned, and I am really sorry to hear that you are feeling anxiety over the result. It is astounding, and I understand why it might raise serious concerns for immigrants. But take a deep breath; everything is OK.

The processing times should not be affected because you are talking about legal immigration issues. Any deportation is not done by the USCIS; rather by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). And I do not think it will happen that quickly anyway.

Moreover, the expiration of a green card does not mean your status as a permanent resident has expired. It just means your valid documentation proving your status has expired. If you've filed for naturalization already, and you did so with a valid green card, you don't have to get a new one. And to be honest, this should be done and you should have taken the oath long before December 2017.

Take a deep breath, you are OK.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have, then please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. If you still have more questions, you can ask them even after you’ve given a rating.

I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my answer but I did not get credit for answer your question yet. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else?

Please let me know either way.

Thank you!