Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

A woman that I'm talking to in Ghana wants to send me gold

Customer Question

A woman that I'm talking to in Ghana wants to send me gold what would be best way to do that and not get scammed
JA: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: She is in Accra
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No she said gold is here moms
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I told her to cash in some of gold and then send it to me
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon. You're right to be concerned about being scammed. There are several scams being run out of Ghana right now, and several involve women who allegedly have inherited gold in some form or another. The best way to not get scammed is to not send money to anyone. The common scams all require getting the "mark" to transfer funds before the (non-existent) gold is received. This makes sense since the gold isn't real. The excuses vary--sometimes, they claim that there's an export fee or a customs fee, sometimes there has to be a "good faith" transactional deposit, sometimes, they are allegedly stopped at the airport and have to pay a "tax" to get released from custody with the gold... but one way or another, the scammer always "needs" money to complete the transaction, even though she is allegedly sitting on thousands or millions of dollars worth of gold. Do not send money.

​Let me know if further clarification is needed, and please feel free to leave a rating once you are finished (it does not cost anything extra to do so, and it is the only way I may be credited for my time.) Thank you!