How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 101012
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was wondering. I want to get married with my boyfriend but

Customer Question

hello, I was wondering. I want to get married with my boyfriend but he is in mexico. I would like to bring him to the u.s by april. is that possible?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no I haven't done anything yet
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nothing that is why im not sure
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: well he wants to get a work visa. because he is in a band and want to come to los angeles end of april im wondering if its better for him to get the visa first
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Actually, yes. Assuming you are a US Citizen, if you marry him and file for a greencard based on marriage for him by filing an I-130 (see HERE), then the average time between filing and approval is about 6-8 months assuming nothing goes wrong. Ergo, it is quite possible if this is done soon to have him be approve by end of April or May 2017.

For step by step procedures, see HERE.

He really should either focus on a work visa, or, a marriage visa. A marriage visa is much easier and quicker to get and is permanent, a work visa is much harder, takes more time, and depending on which he receives, may not be permanent.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!

Related Immigration Law Questions