ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I am omani with US card. Dose Oman allow the card? NO. I am

Customer Question

I am omani with US green card. Dose Oman allow the green card?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: NO. I am still Omani
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am planing to visit Oman. I did not go to Oman for the 25 years.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

The green card is evidence of US permanent residency. It is an immigration document, not a travel document. You would still need a valid passport to travel. Now as you're still an Omani citizen, you could likely get an updated Omani passport through your embassy or nearest consulate (if you don't have an up to date passport). But you can't simply travel out of country and back with your green card. You'd need a passport to do so. Even with a green card, you couldn't get back into the U.S. without a passport. Again, it's an immigration document, not a travel document, and you'd need the passport to be able to travel.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?