Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Ok i am on a year j-1 internship visa in Galveston texas. I

Customer Question

Ok i am on a year j-1 internship visa in Galveston texas. I want to stay beyond that preferably working or i can go to school. What should i do?and How do i go by doing it?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: Im a J-1 Intern
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm from england 23 years old who loves america
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions. I am reviewing it and will post your answer momentarily.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer. You can send a request to speak with me by phone by clicking on the "Call Me" button on this Q&A page.

Does your J1 have a 2 year home residency rule attached to it? It would be annotated on the visa stamp in your passport and also a box on the DS-2019 will be checked stating whether you are or are not subject to 212(e) 2 year home rule.

Judith

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it does not have a 2 year residency rule

Then you are eligible to change status to F1 here in the US.

You cannot extend the internship. The regulations limit the duration and you have maxed out.

So if you want to go to school you have to apply, get accepted, prove to the international office you have the funds to live and pay tuition without working and they will then issue you an I-20. That is a form you have to send to USCIS with a request to change status to F1 student status.

You must file this I-539 before your J1 status expires.

Here is a step by step website that walks you through the process of becoming a student.

https://www.ice.gov/sevis/students

Instead of return to UK to apply for the student visa stamp you file the I-539 once you have the I-20 from the school

https://www.uscis.gov/i-539

I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What if I didn't want to go to school though?

Then you would have to return home for one year to be eligible for the J1 again.

There isn't any other work visa unless you can find a H2 seasonal job like at a ski resort or a winter resort of some kind. You need to google H2B jobs and find the contractors who hire people for seasonal work. They are hard to get because the number of those visas are limited and generally the contractors have already selected their workers for winter season.

If you have a Bachelor degree you cannot have an employer sponsor you until April and then could not start work until October 1st. You would have to return to UK to wait to begin work then.

Judith