Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I have a girlfriend in the Philippines. She wants to come to

Customer Question

I have a girlfriend in the Philippines. She wants to come to USA. I have 3 felonies on my record. When I was 18 I was charged with statutory rape. The girl was 15 I was 18. Then I got operation of a meth lab at 21 and at 28 I got assault with a weapon. Will my charges affect her applying for a visa. And what is the best way to do it.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 4 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

ANSWER: Unfortunately, yes, it can be a problem. Under the Adam Walsh Act, your criminal history can affect your eligibility to sponsor your girlfriend for immigrant benefits.

Before you can sponsor her, you will first have to overcome your history by getting a "no risk" waiver from the USCIS. To do that, you have to show that you pose no risk of harm to the foreign family member, beyond a reasonable doubt. That is not easy to do. I highly recommend that you find a lawyer who specializes in these types of cases help you.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have, then please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. If you still have more questions, you can ask them even after you’ve given a rating.

I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do u recommend any lawyers

Kindly remember that I do not get a salary here. Your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, before leaving the site today. Thank you!

ANSWER: Unfortunately, I am not allowed to give recommendations. But if you do a google search for "AWA immigration lawyer" you'll probably find something nearby. You can also check www.ailalawyer.com.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my answer but no rating. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.