Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.
28679807

I have a question, how does it take to get your us

Customer Question

Hello, I have a question, how long does it take to get your us citizenship if you are married to an American and everything goes well in the state of NC
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

It takes 3 years after becoming a permanent resident to be eligible to apply for US citizenship if the person is married to a US citizen. In other words, once a person has their green card for 3 years they can apply for citizenship if they are married to a US citizen. The person applying can actually send in the application 90 days before the 3 years of having the green card.

Ok thank you. You qualify for the 212(c) waiver for the first two convictions but unfortunately since the last conviction is after 1997, it is not eligible to be waived. Given this, I'm so sorry but I will not have good news for you. In your case, even marrying a US citizen at this point would not be able to stop your deportation because the convictions will continue to be an issue despite of the marriage. And there are no waivers for the crimes. This would be the same even if you were outside the US. However, since you're Cuban, as I'm sure you know.. for now you do not face a threat of actual deportation.

Good luck to you and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
after the 3 years and you apply 90 day before the 3 years how long does it take until you receive it in the mail.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello

After applying, it takes about 4-5 months to get an interview for the citizenship. They will let you know at the interview if you are approved and if so, then there will be an oath ceremony to swear in to citizenship a few weeks later.

I hope that clarifies and I hope I have earned your positive rating.