Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am a Canadian born to a u.s. citizen mother in 1962. She

Customer Question

Hi I am a Canadian born to a u.s. citizen mother in 1962. She was born 1938 and arrived in Canada in 1960. Would I be eligible for dual citizenship.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry about the delay. So she had more than 10 years living in the U.S. and at least 5 of those were after she turned 14? All those years were before you were born?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
that is correct...so what is the process to getting dual.

I was just about to retire for the evening as it is 1am for me, but take a look at this link on the 6th page:

http://dc.fd.org/library/naturalization%20chart.pdf

If you can prove enough physical presence in the U.S. of your mother's before you were born, you could try applying under the form N-600 or directly for a U.S. Passport. Here is a link:

https://www.uscis.gov/n-600

Both the U.S. and Canada allow for dual nationality, so there should be no conflict.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello Rhonda. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello Rhonda. Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.