Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I am parent of US citizen. My son born in NJ when I was

Customer Question

I am parent of US citizen. My son born in NJ when I was studying in USA in 2007 and I had a valid I-20 visa during that time. I see that my son as USA citizen has right to live in USA, therefore can I have a permanent resident green card to live in USA with my son?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Your son is basically 9 years old, correct?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
he is 9 years old

Unfortunately, you will have to wait another 12 years. Your son can petition for you to get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency after he turns 21. This is done for public policy reasons. The U.S. does not want people to come to the U.S. to have children and use the children to stay. So you will have to wait to get status through your son. I am truly sorry.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok, thank you. What are other means to get a green card in USA?

There are generally 5 avenues to obtain U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency. They are through family, through employment, through Asylum or refugee process, through investment, or through the lottery.

For family, it must be immediate family such as U.S. Citizen spouse or U.S. Citizen children over 21 in order to be able to come immediately. U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident parents or U.S. Citizen siblings, or Lawful Permanent Resident spouses can also help you, but the wait for that is about 4 to 12 years or so.

Through employment, you would have to generally prove that you would not be taking away a job from a U.S. worker and the less experience and education you have, the harder that is to do.

Through Asylum or Refugee process, you must prove that you will be persecuted, tortured or killed if you stay in your country and that this will happen to you because of your nationality, race, religion, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group, not because you would run the same risk as anyone else in your country to fall victim to a crime or bad economic conditions.

Through investment, you are looking at generally $1,000,000.00 for a residency, or $500,000.00 in an area designated as a high-employment area, plus in both cases the investment has to create 10 or more jobs for U.S. workers.

And through the lottery, it would be very difficult to win one of the 50,000 visas available per year and some countries do not qualify.

Here is a link to the different forms to get a green card:

http://www.uscis.gov/greencard

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget to rate me positively. You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars if you see them, or the smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see the stars or smiley faces, please scroll to the top of the page to see them or click on my name and they should come out. Also, we do NOT finish just because it says "Rate to Finish" or something like that. Your question does NOT close and you can continue to ask questions without additional charge on the same question thread even after you leave a positive rating. Thank you for your understanding!

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your kindness and respect. Good luck to you.