Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I wish to know if i can sell my handicraft products online i

Customer Question

hey ,My name is ***** ***** I wish to know if i can sell my handicraft products online i am a in United states on a F1 Visa
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: i am on F1 Student visa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: nope
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no nothing that's all i want to know thanks a ton
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 1 month ago.

Hello Meetali, my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Unfortunately your handicrafts are a product that you product and selling your goods on ebay or etsy or other like online stores is a violation of your student visa that prohibits you from employment, including self-employment. Producing the product is a service and selling it makes you subject to having your visa revoked for violating the laws prohibiting employment.

Employment under the immigration laws does not just mean working for someone else. It can include self-employment where you produce a product or provide a service for profit, and even in some cases as a volunteer.

I am sure that your handicrafts are beautiful and we would appreciate being able to buy them from you but I do not want to see you loose your student status and not be able to achieve your dream as a professional.

I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.

Judith

Expert:  Judith replied 1 month ago.

Meetali,

If you have any further questions about protecting your F1 status and not violating it through self-employment selling your handicrafts, please let me know.

Judith

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey
Thanks for giving me the required information.
Is writing a blog ok ?
Would it be ok to feature my jewelry on my blog
Expert:  Judith replied 1 month ago.

No problem with writing a blog but writing a blog and selling your handicrafts off the blog is no different than selling it off any other online site.

It would still constitute unlawful employment. The sales portal would be different but the same basic violation exists.

It is still self-employment.

Please remember experts are not paid unless you take the time to click on the 5 star rating. You can always come back with follow-up questions even after rating. I appreciate it, this is how I make my living.

Judith