Judith Ludwic
Judith Ludwic, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

Second opinion] - My Father visiting me on B1/B2 visa got

Customer Question

Second opinion] - Hi, My Father visiting me on B1/B2 visa got sick and got a surgery
now the bill is 200KI have signed I 134 in 2007 sponsoring him...not sure what will be my liability
Did not sign any paper in Hospital...The hospital is a county hospital in California
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith Ludwic replied 7 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Was the I-134 signed in 2007?

Was he on his B2 visitor status when he entered?

Judith

If the I-134 was signed before 2015 it is unenforceable. It was only then when the later version was created one signed accepting liability for means-tested benefits.

Further, emergency medicaid is not an means tested benefit so the ER bill and emergency surgery were most likely billed under the emergency medicaid benefit plan and only care after discharge would be fall under the sponsor's liability on the new I-134.

I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert.
Judith

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Judith... thanks for the response .... we did apply his insurance which I bought for part payment ... me buying insurance does that impact anything ?

No that has nothing to do with the I-134 and your liability.

Judith

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
1. What makes i134 unenforceable ? Is it the statement that I sworn by etc ... the reason for same is that I have mentioned in the intended statement as below - I will take Care of all there expenses including lodging, boarding, Medicare etc2. Does the stament in the I134 that states the form being applicable for 3 years after there entry means anything ... reason for asking this is that they have entered USA first time in 2008 and this is there 3rd entry
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi...Any update?