Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am an International medical graduate from Pakistan. I have

Customer Question

I am an International medical graduate from Pakistan. I have applied for b1 visa for purpose of interviews for residency. But, I am denied due to previous volunteer work in Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. They said that it is not allowed to volunteer on b1 and university also does not allow volunteering. But University officials say that they take volunteers. Now, if I get a document from Thomas Jefferson University Hospital what should be written to defend my volunteer work ? What should be my plea in front of visa officer to improve my chances of getting visa?
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: no.I am in Pakistan with no visa right now. No application pending
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

Basically, it sounds like you were found to have undertaken unauthorized employment. Please provide me with a description of the volunteer work and whether this was only called volunteer work because you did not have approval from the immigration authorities to work with the hospital.

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going.

I see you have reviewed my response. Do you need more help or need me to explain anything else? Please respond so that I know what to do next.

Thank you.