Nisha Jones, Esq.
Nisha Jones, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Managing Attorney at a Law Firm
93473422

I Googled "Republic of Ghana Immigration Service Declaration

Customer Question

Hello, I Googled "Republic of Ghana Immigration Service Declaration Fee Note" and got your webpage. I am in this situation now - a woman I have been involved with for 18 months, arranging to come here now on an expedited K-1 visa, business class ticket purchased, and now get an official looking signed Declaration Fee Note of $50k - "funds not for any payment, just to show as proof of sufficient funds for the trip ... declaration fee is compulsory and needed to ensure all Ghanaians abroad on long-term travel live and have the assurance of the Government of Ghana, a well-based life outside". Has anything changed that requires this, or is this not now or ever been a requirement and by default then, a scam? Appreciate your insight, Carl
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Nisha Jones, Esq. replied 8 months ago.

Good evening, I am an Immigration Law attorney and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I'll be answering your questions today, please understand this is for informational purposes only, and we do not currently have an attorney-client relationship. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

I'm happy to hear that your K1 visa was approved! However, I do want to caution you about the alleged "Republic of Ghana Immigration Service Declaration Fee Note" -- to my knowledge there is no such fee, and any request is a scam.

Your immigration paperwork is approved and processed through US immigration authorities, specifically USCIS and the Department of State, and that's all that is required for your fiance/significant other to travel to the US.

I have heard of others being asked to pay this fee, and am aware that it is an ongoing scam, so please do not provide any funds for this purpose.

I hope that helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions. Also, please take a moment to rate me using the stars as this is the only way experts are compensated for our time here on 'just answer'. It doesn't cost you anything to rate me, and we can still continue our conversation for free after. Thanks!

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!