Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

My soon-to-be husband was deported 2 weeks ago. We had plans

Customer Question

My soon-to-be husband was deported 2 weeks ago. We had plans to get married. What is the quickest way to get him back to America legally? Should I go to Mexico and get married there? How do we get the necessary paperwork to bring him back with me?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Unfortunately, there is no "quick" about it. It may take a year or even two and that's IF they approve the waivers that he may need to get back.

I just ask that if it is bad news that you not shoot the messenger. Shooting the messenger is either leaving a negative rating (usually reserved for rude or unprofessional experts) or not leaving a positive rating at all.

So why was he deported? How long has he been in the U.S. illegally?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He had some trouble (misdemeanor) with the law in 2013. At that time he was set up for an immigration hearing. He has family here and both his son and him (Jose) said they did not get the paperwork. Anyway, he was recently arrested again but the charges were dropped. But because he did not show for the hearing, there was document signed by a judge that he was to be deported.
I believe he has been here illegally for 15 years (give or take a couple of years).
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm having difficulty with his family (son). He demanded I give him all of Jose's papers and wallet, bank cards, etc. Now he is dragging his feet about helping Jose get an immigration attorney.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Are you still there?

Yes, sorry for the delay. I was assisting another customer with a complex issue. I need to know what the original misdemeanor was for. What was he charged with and what was the sentence? Some crimes can be a permanent bar to getting Residency. Also, what was the other criminal charge for that was dropped?

What was he charged with and what was the sentence? Some crimes can be a permanent bar to getting Residency. Also, what was the other criminal charge for that was dropped?