Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

I tried to do this on my own but it is complicated. We have

Customer Question

I tried to do this on my own but it is complicated. We have a tax issue where we owe back taxes. Can we hire you to do the whole process for us?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome back. Please remember to use FOR GUILLERMO in the subject line and message box so that no one else grabs the question and I can become your personal immigration consultant.

Remind me, what are you filing?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Residency for my wife.

Ok. You are the U.S. Citizen? And how was it that she entered the U.S. originally? And what is the tax issue you are having?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am a US citizen. She came here illegaly in 1986 when she was 2 years old. She has a social thru Daca. The tax problem we have is that we owe back taxes. Not alot maybe like around $5000. I dont know if that is a problem.

Ok. But where is the issue with immigration?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the tax problem not an issue with immigration?

It depends. Did you file an extension for 2015 or are you under a payment plan? And what is your CURRENT income?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No we have not. Are combined current income is around $70,000 a year.

Immigration will be concerned about CURRENT income. So if you can show that you have an extension for 2015 taxes and enough current income to go over the minimum requirement, then you should be ok. Really, you need an accountant, not an attorney to fix the tax issue. It's not a complicated problem to fix the immigration part of it.

Let me know if you need anything else, but please do not forget that positive rating. Thank you!

Hello Alejandro. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!