KUMAR PATURI ESQ
KUMAR PATURI ESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  11 years experience handling all types of traffic cases, tried over 175 motor vehicle cases
16356563

I have a question on F-1 visa, I am a international student

Customer Question

Hi I have a question on F-1 visa
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: I am a international student here
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet I am not on any cases, I just have a question and want to ask
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I rent a house and I rent a bedroom on Airbnb, I wish to know will that affect my visa or leave any record Cause as I know maybe I need to pay tax and it will leave some record
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: Ok
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  KUMAR PATURI ESQ replied 6 months ago.

Renting an apartment will not hurt your visa status, it will not be an issue, if you are making income, and report it, on a tax return that may be an issue, i

As a f1 visa holder, you are not allowed to work, but legally having an investment property in the US, and receiving income is not an immigration violation.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
i think i did not make it clear, i rent a house from landlord, it is a house with 3 bedroom, i use one room as a bedroom and use another room as a workspace, then i got one room left, so i just post it on the airbnb and have someone to share the rent. But my property agent tell me that airbnb will send me a tax report form and at that time i will need to pay tax and once i pay tax, i will got record on IRS, it will effect me on renew my F-1 visa. so what should i do right now to avoid leave any record.

have it under a different name, or see if you can create a corporation, and have the lease under the corp name.

Be aware, as a f1 student, you can invest and make money through a rental, as it is not a job, such as investments or even stock trading, that will not hurt your visa.

Many f1 students invest in real estate, as long as you pay taxes on the income it is fine.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask, if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you so we can receive payment