Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.
9200179

My wife was on H1b and we got married 2 months ago, I am

Customer Question

my wife was on H1b and we got married 2 months ago, I am born and raised in the US. SHe lied about where she worked, claiming she worked for google but was never employed there, jsut worked for a recruitment agency, she has threatened me emotionally about leaving me and divorcing me and for the past 3 weeks she randomly took a trip out to LA claiming to see family, but lied about it and was in San Francisco with friends attempting to get my social security number and requesting 500 dollars I did not file her paper work at all since she had said her H1b was approved to work from home but then claimed she lost her job three weeks ago and never shared any information with me just that I better file her paperwork now or else she has verbally abused me and emotionally refused to sleep with me in the same room and has not been home for 3 weeks and we got married August 6th I do not know what to do or what are my rights as a US citizen
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And has the behavior been documented in any way?
Customer: yes text messages and resume copies and transcripts illinois
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I feel lied to and that I was used and am absolutely devastated of all these findings her last message to me was she has no care or emotion for me and no love at all and was in the marriage just for the sake of family I feel used
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry about the delay. You believe that she only married you for the green card? What other evidence do you have that this has happened? How long have you been married?

Please respond here. Thank you.

That looks like evidence that the marriage just fell apart. Do you have any evidence that she is only with you for the green card other that she now wants you to file for her? That might be enough, but I just want to check.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have correspondence of her pressuring me and pushing me to file for greencard since even before the marriage and even after and pressuring more by making verbally abusive comments in regards ***** ***** mother, as well as me. She also has been out of the house for 3 weeks since our marriage August 6th and has lied about where she is and what she has been doing.

Ok. It's not easy to get an annulment in Illinois. You will have to prove that her consent to marry was fraudulent because she never intended to be in a real relationship for you, but you are supposed to file within 90 days or discovering the fraud plus you have to prove it. Here are a couple of good articles:

https://www.illinoislegalaid.org/legal-information/getting-my-marriage-annulled

http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/annulment/annulment-basics/illinois.htm

As far as the immigration aspect, you could make it very difficult for her to stay. I would file proof of the fraud with the local USCIS field office so that when she tried to renew her status or marry another U.S. Citizen, she could be prevented from getting legal status. Here is a link:

http://www.uscis.gov/about-us/find-uscis-office/field-offices

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!