Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I am an American Citizen who by way of military service in

Customer Question

I am an American Citizen who by way of military service in Viet Nam Citizenship was easy to get back in the early 1970's however do I have driven for decades and even had a CDL commercial driving licence, I have driven semi truck and trailer all over the united states and Canada, and because of my CDL I could not have a second driving lisence until it expired that happen back in 2010, because we could not have two lisences at the same time, so now the state of texas has refused to acknowledge my previous licence as an identification in order to get the one from the state of texas so I can't even get any kind of identification unless is issued by the state of texas. right know I do have a pending ticket that was given to me by a local police officer for not having a current driving license, and even when I explained to him my problem he just told me to explain that to the judge, I went over to the see the judge and he gave me until this coming Friday in order to get a license and so went back and they told me the same thing this was the fourth time since 2010 that I have tried to do so. my citizenship is misplaced and in order to get a copy of it I would have to come up with over $400.00 dollars which I do not have since I am 71 tears old and only get $1006.00 per month on social security so I just can't afford to do so, I do live alone with my pets and need a car to be able to go to the store and by food for me and my pets I try to do more than one thing on one trip in order to avoid getting into problems I never been in jail and the last ticket I got was several decades ago. so my question is do I have any legal leg to stand on against the state of texas in order to resolve my problem I have lived under a lot of stress since 2010 because I can't do any thing about it I can't even get insurance, for the car because every thing requires identification, so my brother had to put my car with his car in order to buy insurance for it, but I can't change the title, or do any thing legal with out a texas identification. can anyone help me?thank you
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: what is the USCIS?
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I CALL THE STATE OF WASHINGTON A FEW MONTHS AGO WHERE I LIVED FOR 32 YEARS THE CALL WAS DONE TO SUPREME COURT OF WASHINGTON THINKING THAT I HAD A COPY OR COULD HAVE LEFT A COPY OF MY CITIZENSHIP WITH THEM SINCE THAT WAS THE PLACE WHERE I GOT IT BACK IN 73, THEY DID SEND ME A PETITION BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO DO WITH IT OR EVEN WHAT THAT PETITION IS REALY FOR
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: CAN'T THINK OF ANY THING ELSE RIGHT OFF THE TOP OF MY OLD HEAD.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Edward Young replied 1 month ago.

Hi. I'm going to try and help you. I have over 30 years of legal experience. First, some questions: Do you have an American passport, even if it is expired. Also, do you have a social security card? I am trying to determine whether we can get you a Texas ID card.

Also, you may be eligible for a fee waiver for the citizenship request form. Please get back to me when you can.