Ask Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. Your Own...
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.
Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq., Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  10+ years of experience in various aspects of U.S. Immigration Law.

My sister has been married to a US Citizen for over 3 years

Customer Question

Hi, my sister has been married to a US Citizen for over 3 years He recently abandoned her and she hasn't heard from him for over 6 months
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: No she hasn't, they filed for fiancé visa before and it got refused and they were about to file for a spouse visa recently and then he disappeared
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Very cowardly No not yet, you are the first
JA: Thank you.
Customer: What is her legal standpoint
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That she lives in Algeria
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 14 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** and I am a licensed attorney with more than 14 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help.

Please give me a few minutes to review your question and I will be right with you with an answer. Sorry for any delay. I may have to do some research and at the same time I read and type fast, but not that fast! Thank you for your patience.

Sorry for the delay. Are you asking if anything can be done for her to get U.S. Lawful Permanent Residency without his help?

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 12 days ago.

I do not know why you are not responding, but you are not charged per question, per response, nor per answer. So after I give you my answer, you can continue to ask me questions without additional charge until you are satisfied. I apologize if it is a site issue that you posted and the post did not go through.

Is she currently inside of the U.S. or outside of the U.S.?

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 11 days ago.

It makes it very difficult to help you if you do not respond. Without more information, I have to give you a general answer. The only way that she can get Residency on her own without your spouse is if she can prove that he abused her or perhaps win Asylum protection. If she cannot do either, then she could marry another U.S. Citizen as long as she did not enter the U.S. with a K-1 or K-3. If she did, then she has to leave the U.S. and apply from outside. Here is a link to a Violence Against Women Petition:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions and there is no additional charge. Also, should you need to chat on the phone, private email or need help reviewing documentation, I am happy to do so for a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested in these – I am happy to give you more details! If you have no further questions (at this time) please leave a positive rating for my service. I would sincerely ***** ***** You can do that by clicking on the 3rd, 4th or 5th stars or smiley faces if you see them. If you do not see any stars or smiley faces, you may have to scroll up to the top of the page or click on my name and they should come out. Also, your session does NOT close when leaving a positive rating, so you can continue to ask additional questions without additional charge. Thank you for your understanding.

Expert:  Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq. replied 8 days ago.

Hello. I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help? Please let me know. Thank you!