Expert James
Expert James, Immigration Attorney
Experience:  Write FOR JAMES to get my help!
23431962

I have my first card and Im separated with my husband on

Customer Question

hi i have my first green card and Im separated with my husband on july 29 my green card expires , so my husband ones to divorce me so i guess i have to file for I-751 form and check the box that we are divorce do i need a lawyer for this ?
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: the only paper i have is the separation paper and have not done anything yet cuz i was hoping he will get back with me
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet im kinda cant afforded
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 1 month ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

Please give me some time to review your question. It might take a little while, but I WILL be back to continue this conversation and give you an answer. Asking me if I am still here or checking in only serves to delay the response. So your patience is very much appreciated.

Kindly remember that I do not get a salary here. Your positive rating is the only way I am rewarded for doing my job. So please do not forget to give me 3 or more stars, or any smiling faces, before leaving the site today. Thank you!

ANSWER: No, you do not have to have a lawyer I always recommend a lawyer, but you are permitted to do this on your own, if you want to.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please help me get credit for doing my job, by giving me a positive rating of 4 or 5 stars or any of the smiling faces. You can still ask more questions, even after you’ve given a rating.

I aim to give you excellent service, even if the outcome is not what you wanted. So I am happy to answer any related follow-up questions you might have, at no additional charge.

And if you want to talk on the phone for 30 minutes, I can send you an offer for that.

A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned it.

And if you have questions in the future, write FOR JAMES in the question and I will be your personal Expert in this category.

Thank you!