Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.

If my grandmother is a permanent resident but spends 9

Customer Question

If my grandmother is a permanent resident but spends 9 months back in her home country will she be allowed back in to the US or will she lose her permanent resident status?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 15 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

If your grandmother has only stayed outside the US for 9 months one time, then yes she should be allowed back into the US this time. She will likely be asked why she was out so long so she should be prepared to explain and have a good excuse. She should also remember always to emphasize that even though she was out for a long time, she considers the US her permanent home.

If she is out of the US for 9 months at a time (or even just more than 6 months) often then it can definitely become a problem because then it will seem like a habit and she can be abused of not actually living in the US.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.