Judith
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
12467490

I am very depressed. I got married 3 months ago 2 days after

Customer Question

i am very depressed. I got married 3 months ago 2 days after our marriage, my spouse, on her OPT visa kept begging me to divorce her and started acting out and very verbally and emotionally abusive to me she refused to sleep with me, be intimate with me, and now claims she got "fired" from her job after moving to illinois in August after our marriage and i need to file her papers she is pressuring me substantially and very emotionally abusive to me and even telling me to give her money to provide for her and just told me she lost her job for which she is no longer getting paid for her previous month of work I do not know what to do and am very shaken and depressed help
JA: What is your official status? Do you have any pending applications or petitions with USCIS?
Customer: no I am a US citizen born and raised here she was working on OPT work visa I did not file any paper work for her for immigration because something did not feel right and her family kept threatening me to file her papers she has been texting me she has no love or care for me no emotion for me she just up and left for 2 weeks to party with her family we got married August 6th and she refuses to be even a wife towards me or show me any affection
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no i did not know what to do I am just so embarrassed and depressed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: she met me in December pressured me to marry her ASAP her parents and my parents started talking and arranged for us to meet and chat and kept mentioning the green card and then stopped when I told them I wasn't comfortable doing so and now she claims she lost her job, no termination letter, claims she has no money, says she has no love or emotion towards me refuses to spend time with me or even touch me and sends me abusive texts begging me to divorce her but then claims no don't divorce me, btw when are you filing my green card paperwork
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Judith replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

I am not a marriage counselor which I think you even alone need to see. I would urge you to not do anything until then.

I am a bit fearful for you.

Why? This sounds like a typical set up for immigration benefits through marriage. But more than that, I am fearful if she comes back in to life with you she may allege spousal abuse or even start an altercation, hurt herself, call the police and blame it on you and you get arrested and charged with domestic violence and she gets a green card as an abused spouse.

All the chats and text about her pushing for the green card, emotional abuse, lack of love and emotion for you, etc. Put them on a thumb drive and hide it or put it into a cloud file.

But really you need to try to figure out a way to live separately and have as little contact with her because I see this leading down a very familiar path. The abuse claim with a charge of domestic violence that she initiates.

I would encourage her to live elsewhere and spare yourself the trap of a DV charge or even a restraining order. You may want to talk to a family law attorney about getting a restraining order based on her behavior if she has shown any physical aggression.

You can always work on reconciliation through meetings with a marriage counselor but I would again suggest any contact be in the presence of witnesses and in public places.

She existed somehow as a student before OPT so she will need to get another job or leave the US. She is only allowed 60 days of unemployment and then she is out of status on the OPT.

If her parents have enabled her behavior by having her come and spend timewith them and not find a job, let them support her.

You have nothing to feel ashamed about. This was an arrangement her and her parents planned.

and I am eager to make this a positive experience for you. Please ask follow-up questions if my answer is not clear.
I hope that I have provided excellent service and, if so, would love a 5 star rating. If not, please let me know how I can further assist you. In the future, you may begin your questions with “FOR JUDITH” and I will be your personal immigration expert

Judith