Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I would like to know how I can find my immigration status. I

Customer Question

Good morning,I would like to know how I can find my immigration status. I have a I-751 receipt number that is no longer valid, I tried to check my status online and it said that my receipt number does not exist. Was I supposed to receive a new receipt number? I have a hearing scheduled on January 2017 from filling the I-751. I am currently employed and also in the process of purchasing a home. I need proof of being a legal alien. Who do I contact? what should I do?Delphine
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Expert James replied 2 months ago.

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. I am James, and I will be assisting you. As we work through your questions, think about this as a back and forth conversation. Once you've received the information you need, you can thank me by issuing me a positive rating of 3, 4, or 5 stars. This is the only way I get credit for doing my job, so please do not forget this before leaving the site.

When did you file the I-751?

Did you file it jointly with your spouse?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your reply James. I will definitely issue a positive rating.
I filed the I-751 in 2014 and filed it myself as we went through a divorce. I had a final hearing in March 2015 but it has been pushed to January 2017. I do have a notice of hearing with me but no receipt number. The last receipt number I have is dated from June 2014.

So was the original I-751 denied and you were asked to appear in court?

What is the purpose of the hearing? What does the hearing notice say?

What about the receipt notice for the I-751? Where is that?

Did any document that you ever received say that your conditional resident status is extended?