How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Judith Your Own Question
Judith, Immigration Lawyer
Category: Immigration Law
Satisfied Customers: 28077
Experience:  34 years as practicing immigration attorney, with non-immigrant and immigrant visa experience.
Type Your Immigration Law Question Here...
Judith is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I entry in US with a J1 visa in June 2014, so my visa has

Customer Question

Hi , my name is ***** ***** entry in US with a J1 visa in June 2014 , so my visa has expired . I work for a family with medical problems who want's to sponser me because they need my help and they never find a trust person . So what can we do to obtein an adjustment of status ,new visa or green card ?
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Judith replied 23 days ago.

Hello Alexandra, my name is ***** ***** I am delighted to answer your questions today. I have 35 years experience as an immigration lawyer.

Did you enter with the au pair visa?

Are you subject to the 2 year home residency rule? Probably not if you came as an au pair.


Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It was a J1 visa , student visa , with 3 months work contract
Expert:  Judith replied 23 days ago.

You mean it was a work study or a J1 student visa? There is a difference and it is important.

If you were a J1 student your I-94 would have on it "D/S". Which means duration of status.

If it has an expiration date that makes a world of difference to being able to get adjustment of status.


Expert:  Judith replied 23 days ago.

Hello, Alexandra, are you there? I have another customer who wants a telephone call at 6pm and we may be on the phone for 30-45 minutes.


Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Class of admission :J1 , admit until date :D/S , expiration date 11/30/2014
Expert:  Judith replied 23 days ago.

An admit date is the date you entered, not the expiration date.

Only an expiration date can be "D/S".

Can you take a picture of it and attach it using the paperclip?

What you are telling me doesn't add up.

If your expiration date is "D/S" the employer can sponsor you and you can get a green card.

If your expiration date was 11/30/14 then it won't be possible.

That is why it is so important to be accurate with this information. Can you take a picture and attach it with the paperclip?

I have to take the phone call now. I will look at your attachment as soon as I am done or please look again carefully at the I-94.


Expert:  Judith replied 23 days ago.

Maybe you would like a phone call and then I can also give you my personal email.

I will give you the offer.


Expert:  Judith replied 23 days ago.

Cannot give you the offer.

I will be back with you after my call.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I need your phone number , and e-mail adress
Expert:  Judith replied 23 days ago.

I cannot give you my phone number and email address without you having accepted a premium service offer.

You will need to contact customer service

Here is the link to contact them

After you resolve the issue why I cannot give you an offer, come back and tell me and I will put in the offer again.


Related Immigration Law Questions