ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

If I am travelling from Ireland to the USA on a short

Customer Question

If I am travelling from Ireland to the USA on a short holiday does my passport have to be valid for 6 months from the date of entry to the USA
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

As a general rule, passports must be valid for six months beyond the date the traveler will exit the U.S., however, the U.S. has signed agreements with a number of countries to waive this requirement. When such an agreement is in place, the passport must be valid for the entire period of the visitor's intended stay, but the additional six month validity period is not required.

Ireland is such a country, in that if you're a citizen of Ireland you're exempt from this 6 month requirement. Rather, it need only be valid for the duration of your stay.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up/down/left/right so that you can see them. Again, please note that you have to click the rating and submit it for the question to close out and for me to get credit for the answer I provided.