Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice in several areas, including immigration
7286322

I've been researching on how to petition my mother. no not

Customer Question

I've been researching on how to petition my mother.
JA: Have you filed any paperwork with the USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services) yet?
Customer: no not yet I am waiting to turn 21
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I was hoping that as soon as I turn 21 I would do all of this
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Well my mother has a visa, or at least I think so, and I believe she has a social as well but then again I'm not sure. I think she is also undocumented. Sorry I really don't know much of my mother's status on the subject.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Please tell me:

1) Where does your mother live now?

2) What is her status - you say she is undocumented?

3) What can I answer for you exactly, i.e. what is your question? For example: "What forms would I need to file?"

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
1. She lives in the U.S.
2. She might be but then again I'm not sure because she does have a passport
3. What forms would I need to file?
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

Does she have a United States Passport? Or a Passport from another country?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe she has a U.S. Passport because we did move from California about 7 years ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

If she has a US Passport, then she is an American citizen. Then, why would you want to file for her to get immigration status, since she already has American citizenship?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Because she has a passport but she is also undocumented from she told me
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
She cannot be undocumented if she has a US Passport. Unless, she got that US Passport via fraudulent means.
Is there any way you can find out specifically what her status is and then get back to me?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not at the moment but possibly at some other time.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.

That is fine. Because it is crucial to figure out her status and background, we can put a pin in this conversation for now. Once you are ready, simply reply back to this thread.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for responding to my question even though I had little information to give.
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
I haven't answered anything yet. Please come back when you have more information and we can continue.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay and Thanks again
Expert:  Ely replied 2 months ago.
Sure thing.