Jennifer Marie, Esq.
Jennifer Marie, Esq., Immigration Attorney
Experience:  She has worked on all types of U.S. Immigration cases since 2007.

I am moving to India for good in Nov 2016. What will happen

Customer Question

I am moving to India for good in Nov 2016. What will happen to my 401k? What options do I have and what would work out the best from tax perspective?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  Jennifer Marie, Esq. replied 18 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Nothing happens to your 401K value even if you leave to India for good, meaning the underlying assets/securities will retain their current market value. It will remain in what you have it invested. The tax circumstances will depend on when you decide to take withdrawals and where you are living at the time. That would decide your tax circumstances in that particular time.

As far as the best option from a tax perspective, you would have to speak to a tax specialist or tax attorney at that time or when it gets closer. My area of expertise is immigration.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

Please kindly remember to leave a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the STARS. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid. If you don't leave a rating, I receive no credit for my time.

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Also the question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish.." So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost, don't worry. Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Would you know what would happen to my Social Security Benefits contribution made so far?