ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

My husband has a pending hearing over theft of 2 years ago

Customer Question

Hi my husband has a pending hearing over theft of 2 years ago since then he has changed and is a better person. My question is can he file for me as my sponsor with the case pending as he has a job and he is becoming a manager this week?
Category: Immigration Law
Expert:  ScottyMacESQ replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Yes, he can file for you as your sponsor. So long as this is a valid marriage (not bigamous, etc....) and he can provide adequate financial sponsorship or supplement with someone else's joint affidavit of support, he can sponsor his spouse even with criminal charges or convictions. Now they might still pull the criminal background information of the sponsor, but not to disqualify merely for having a criminal record. Rather, they do this to help verify the veracity of the information, if there's any immigration fraud in the applicant's past, etc...

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No thanks this good.

I'm glad to hear that. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only then I am credited.

You may need to scroll up/down/left/right to see the stars where you can rate. Can you see them?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)..

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He has an offer of a month in jail and three months community service so he is trying to fight the jail time. I want to find out if he gets the jail time will that affect my sponsorship?

It might affect his sponsorship (in that he'd have to show that he's financially stable). Now if there's a supplementary affidavit that someone else can file that says that they will also support you if need be (sort of like a cosigning agreement) then that would help. Simply going to jail doesn't make him per se unable to sponsor you.

Does that clear things up?

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At the moment he is financially stable

Understood.

Like I said before, the criminal record is not going to make him ineligible to act as your sponsor. They're going to be looking at financial stability.

Are you still there?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~45 MINUTES) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!